VA Expands Live Donor Transplant Care and Support within VA Community Care Network Contracts
Phoenix, AZ (July 22, 2022) – The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Community Care Network (CCN) contracts now provide support for procedures and related care to those who donate an organ or bone marrow for transplantation into Veterans, effective as of July 1, 2022.
This expanded benefit within the VA Community Care Network (CCN) contracts provides care and coverage for live donors throughout the donation process, to include:
- Initial screening and eligibility determination for anyone interested in donating a solid organ or bone marrow to a Veteran
- Pre-donation testing and evaluation
- Solid organ or bone marrow donation procedure
- Post-donation care for up to a two-year period
- Associated travel and lodging expenses
Each year, VA receives an average of 3,500 referrals for transplants and performs more than 480 solid organ and bone marrow transplant procedures. This new modification will help the community meet the needs for Veteran transplants nationwide.
For more information, visit VA’s website to learn more about the expanded live donor care.