Understanding Out-Of-Pocket Costs
You may be required to make co-payments during your visit to a physician when using the Veterans Choice Program. Two types of co-payment may apply to your office visit:
Co-payments required by your other health insurance:
- When your other health insurance is primarily responsible for the costs of your care, you are responsible for making those co-payments.
- Typically, these co-payments must be paid at the point of service (at the office) at the time of your appointment.
- These co-payments cannot be waived or changed by VA or TriWest.
Co-payment required by the Department of Veterans Affairs:
- VA requires Veterans receiving care for non-service-connected conditions to make co-payments unless one of the exceptions applies.
VA-required co-payments are:
- $15 for primary care visits
- $50 for outpatient specialty care visits
Inpatient co-payment amounts are dependent on your VA enrollment priority level. We will advise of any that may be applicable when speaking with you about your appointment