Eating Disorders Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are Eating Disorders?

A: Eating Disorders are characterized by severe disturbances in eating behavior. Three of the most common types of eating disorder classifications are anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder.

Q: Will I need to see a specialist to get help?

A: Some people start a discussion about getting help with their primary care physician. The treatment of eating disorders usually involves a team of specialist including a primary care physician, psychiatrist, therapist and nutritionist. Treatment may include inpatient care or residential treatment followed by outpatient follow up care.

Q: How do I locate a specialist?

A: Veterans who are eligible to receive care under the Veterans Community Care program can locate a provider here:

Please visit to check your eligibility for the Veterans Community Care program.

Updated: 4/12/2021 10:29:08 AM